Tuesday, June 4, 2013

I’ve never really felt like an outsider in Bollywood: Huma Qureshi

You seem to be frequenting Gujarat in recent times.

Yes, this is my second visit to Vadodara in less than two months (smiles). I came here to inaugurate a spa and beauty salon. The last time I was in Gujarat to promote Ek Thi Daayan, I was in bed with fever and I am glad to be back here on a happier note! It is a special state and had a great time shooting for D-Day in and around Ahmedabad. Shooting in Dasada was especially fun, and I loved the company of emus and ducks at the resort where we stayed!

His choice of roles has been rather unconventional.
I watch a film in its entirety and I feel it is less for an actor to say "yes" to a role without considering all the factors that could relate to the film. I am only taking movies I think and so far, my decisions have paid off. Many people advised me against making Gangs of Wasseypur (GOW) and said I should do a great movie to get attention. I am very happy to be doing so many roles and work with some of our best filmmakers. I've even done a item number for the film with Hollywood style Trishna. What more could I have asked at the beginning of my career? I owe my success to two people - NK Sharma (director of Delhi-based theater) and Anurag Kashyap. While Sharmaji used to tell me that I should pursue acting seriously, Anurag always encouraged me to believe in my talent.

Despite a conservative family, you and your brother (Saqib Saleem) is making Bollywood films now. How was the trip?
Almost all Indian youth has difficulty convincing his / her parents about career options. It was not easy to convince my parents, but like all great families of India, eventually allowed me to pursue my dreams after a few rounds of marathon debates and meetings. The best part is that you are completely untouched by my fame or the glitz and glamor of Bollywood! I remember a funny incident here (pause) ...

Please continue.
In the projection of the Nikhil Advani Delhi Safari, Irrfan met, an actor we all love, and introduced my father to him. Not recognizing who he was and despite all my efforts, my father kept saying, 'Maine Dekha hai kahin aap ko! Irrfan, being the thorough gentleman he is, resolved the crisis by saying, 'Mujhe Lagta hai ki bhi aap ko Pehle maine Dekha hai! This is how my family is - simple, sweet, and in a world that is far from the film!

Have you ever felt like an outsider in Bollywood?
No. On the contrary, I feel lucky to be part of the industry when some brave directors are making films that closely reflect real-life situations.

Please explain.
Some people criticized the language used in GOW, but the film does not sensationalize anything, the story requires this kind of dialogue of authenticity. Even in a movie about college life, we have to use the language that kids talk, is not it? Today, almost all young people use the word 'F'. You mean you start criticizing the time shows the same film?

What are you looking for in your future projects?
I am excited for Ishqiya DEDH will be an awesome sequel! And I think the D day has been the most challenging role for me so far, as I have done the action for the first time and loved all the stunts!

Read  more..

Who's the next queen bee?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...